Employment-based Green Card Options

Permanent Workers

Approximately 140,000 immigrant visas are available each fiscal year for aliens (and their spouses and children) who seek to immigrate based on their job skills.

If you have the right combination of skills, education, and/or work experience and are otherwise eligible, you may be able to live permanently in the United States.

Labor Certification

Some immigrant visa preferences require you to already have a job offer from a U.S. employer. This employer will be considered your sponsor.

For some visa categories, before the U.S. employer can submit an immigration petition to USCIS, the employer must obtain an approved labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL).

The DOL labor certification verifies the following:

  • There are insufficient available, qualified, and willing U.S. workers to fill the position being offered at the prevailing wage
  • Hiring a foreign worker will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers

For more information, please contact us or visit the United States Department of Labor’s website section on Labor Certification.

U.S. Federal Tax Information

Aliens employed in the U.S. may have a U.S. tax obligation. In the United States, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is responsible for administering taxes for aliens employed in the U.S.

For more information on how resident aliens are treated for tax purposes, visit the IRS website:

Taxation of Resident Aliens

Permanent Worker Visa Preference Categories

There are five employment-based immigrant visa preferences or categories:

Contact Us

For more information on how to apply for a Temporary Worker Visa, or for assistance with other immigration or employment-based immigration visas, please complete our Client Questionnaire.