U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization

After getting a green card, a permanent resident can become a citizen by completing the process of naturalization.

For most people, in order to qualify for citizenship, they must have held a green card for at least five (5) years with at least one-half of that time spent physically present in the US.

Spouses of U.S. citizens may naturalize after only three (3) years. Spouses of U.S. citizens assigned abroad to qualifying organizations may naturalize immediately, without respect to physical presence in the U.S.

All naturalization applicants must demonstrate good moral character, and most must be able to speak, read and write the English language. All must know basic U.S. citizenship as demonstrated by correct answers to 6 of 10 questions chosen from 100 published questions and answers.

E&M Mayock assists clients who have problems qualifying for naturalization, such as meeting the physically present, language, or good moral character requirements.

We offer a special “Natz” review program for clients who have achieved their green cards through our firm.

Others may wish to download and file form N-400 Application for Naturalization on their own.

Derivative Citizenship through Parents and Grandparents

Some individuals may be U.S. citizens at birth abroad, but unaware of their status. This is particularly true for Canadians.

Rules regarding who derives citizenship at birth abroad via parents and grandparents have changed over the years. Applicability depends upon the date of birth of the child.

Recent changes wrought by the Child Status Protection Act permit the under age 18 grandchildren of U.S. citizens born abroad to enter the U.S. as visitors and leave as citizens.

E&M Mayock assists clients in discovering and making U.S. citizenship claims, and obtaining U.S. passports.

For more information on how to apply for U.S. Citizenship, or for assistance with immigration or employment-based immigration, please contact us.

Contact Us